Friday, December 7, 2012

To free his voice

 My son is almost 2 1/2 and doesn't speak, at least not in a way that is understandable. Somedays are harder that others. Today is one of those days. Khai was enrolled in preschool and has since been enrolled in speech therapy. We have tossed around the idea that his speech delays stem from either childhood apraxia of speech or possibly even toddler tongue tie. Either way, it is a struggle. This kid amazes me EVERY SINGLE DAY. He is so bright. He is doing a fabulous job with potty training, he can write some letters, he understands everything he is told and follows direction but his lack of speech is holding him back. It's almost harder knowing that everything is perfect mentally but still something is stunting his progress. Not that I would EVER want something more to be wrong but it just makes it THAT much harder that we can't pinpoint WHY he has a delay.

When Khai cries because he is trying, with all his might, to "tell" me something that I can't understand, it breaks my heart. He wants SO badly to speak. Moments like this give me the strength I need to move forward in finding the root to his speech delay. I will fight for him. I will be his voice. I work with him every single day to improve his speech and communication. We're getting there but we are taking baby steps.

I can't complain. Some parents lose their children to disease or live with a child who will never be able to be on their own due to severe mental disorders. If speech is the only concern I have as far as my sons health goes, I consider myself lucky. I know I seem selfish, it's just tough on me some days.

I dream of the day that I can hear him say "I love you, mommy." I know that the time will come and until it does, I will surround that baby with so much love and support. He is my angel and we WILL free his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment